A fort was built by a new settler, Charles Tyson, in 1856 as a protection against Indian raids. Soon it became a stage stop because of the good water. The area was called Ft. Tyson or Tyson's Wells, its well-used name. When the stage lines stopped running, the area was abandoned. In 1897, there was a mining boom here and the town was revitalized. At this time, it was renamed Quartzsite and the spelling evolved to its present state through an error.
Quartzsite has been a rock hound's paradise since the 1960's. Thousands of acres of dispersed BLM camping draws upwards to two million visitors a year.
Quartzsite Area Chamber of Commerce & Tourism Center
1240 W. Main Street,
PO Box 640
Quartzsite, Arizona. 85346
PHONE: (928) 927-5200
EMAIL: CLICK HERE
© Copyright 2015-2020 Quartzsite Area Chamber of Commerce & Tourism
Web designed and maintained by
Blue Moose Design Services, Bouse AZ
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED -
Including but not limited to content, design, graphics & photos.